Even if you are brushing your teeth twice per day as intended, it may not be having the effects that you intended for it. This is because we often find herself not practicing effective tooth brushing techniques, and end up doing a few things wrong that could be potentially limiting the effectiveness of brushing. Always make sure you’re following all effective guidelines for brushing your teeth to ensure your smile has the best chance for oral health success. Including the following:
– When brushing your teeth, be sure to brush for at least two minutes twice daily.
– Avoid brushing too hard, and also focus on using small strokes.
– Be sure to brush your tongue to help remove bacteria that may be present.
– For additional help with your oral health care, always be sure to visit your dentist twice per year for a professional cleaning.
– In order to effectively clean your front teeth, turn your brush vertical.
– Select a toothbrush that can effectively reach all areas of your mouth.
– Practice brushing your teeth at a 45-degree angle of the gums to ensure you’re adequately reaching and covering all areas of your inner mouth.
– There are areas that your toothbrush cannot effectively clean, such as between teeth, so don’t forget to clean between your teeth with an interdental cleaner such as floss.
– Find a toothbrush that has soft bristles, as they are less likely to result in dental abrasion.
If you would like to learn more about toothbrushing, book a comprehensive oral exam with Pitner Family Dentistry, by contacting us at our dentist office in Bessemer, Alabama. Our number is 205-426-2644. Dr. Rebecca Pitner and our entire team look forward to your visit.